Friday, March 14, 2008

Tennis Anyone?







The fun just never ends here in the springs. A day out soaking in the dazzling sun at the Pacific Life Open! Although the weather brought tornado-like winds to the region, ultimately resulting in me ingesting at least 4 pounds of sand that was swirling in the air, I found myself enthralled by the game. I have very limited experience with this sport - I've only witnessed daddy playing a ferocious game of it on his Wii. Now that I know what the real deal is all about, I'll have to immediately inform him that his make believe version is a sham! Within moments of walking into the tennis facility, mommy's bat radar picked up on Roger Federer practicing on one of the outside courts. Never have I seen her move at lightening speed! She told me to pay close attention to his form, foot work and finesse as I'd need it when I make the Stanford tennis team in 18 years. So she's a little crazy but she means well! We never made it into the stadium to see any matches - I couldn't be trusted with my vocal cords. Sometimes, just for shits and giggles, I like to belt out a doozie of a scream and according to her, it wouldn't have been appreciated at a venue such as this. Instead we sat near the most gynormous video screen I've ever laid eyes on while sipping on a frosty margarita. The people watching was interesting and the tennis vibe captivating. But, truth be told I won't be going back until I'm a little older! Mommy's been going out to the tournament since she was 3. In fact, she even used to be a ball girl back in the day. I'm sure you can figure out what's in store for me down the road.

3 comments:

GP Marty said...

Hi Jake -
If you have a chance to listen to "GP Marty" you may want to try basketball and soccer before making any commitment to tennis.

Of course you might get more invoved with tennis in "the springs" but wait until you get together with your cousins. I think Dylan and Cameron might want to have you try baseball and soccer. when you're not with your cousins I think dad will take you to the courts teaaching you the the finer points and stratergy of basketball.

I'm going to enjoy watching you growing up and you choosing what you like to do - and working at it. I have a feeling that we're all in for a lot of surprises.

Lynn said...

Such excitement in our house just now when Marty yelled out, "There's another blog." I rushed to my computer to read about your next adventure. I have a feeling that your mom will give you tennis lessons as soon as she can. Practicing on wii will also be fun. Just think, by age 3 you may be able to do laps in the pool, sing or play an instrument, do yoga?, speak Italian, & dabble in a little tennis. I'm sure there will be more. Enjoy all this spoiling now, because if you have a little brother or sister, you will have to share all this attention.

Lots of love & I can't wait to see you!
GMLynn

auntie ro said...

I guess I need to add in my 2 cents as to sports that you might have to try. I tend to agree with gp M, I don't think that your daddy will just be taking you to the tennis courts.With your beautiful hands, and long legs, the Basketball courts are definitely an option. But, given that your Auntie Ro is a transplant to Canada now, you also might have to try Hockey. "Go Cunucks". I know a few people up here including Uncle Ron who can give you some pointers. And when it comes to soccer, Alex, (Ron's daughter)is an accomplished player.
As for me, ballboy for tennis for a start is good, and I think your mommy has the right idea, Margaritas on the sideline.