Monday, April 28, 2008

Coco - Nuts!





Our 5 hour morning walk today led us up a beautiful path in the rice fields – not surprising as there seems to be nothing but rice fields in Ubud. I now have heat rash from all of the treking we're doing. A ways into our jaunt, we came across a man who offered to climb a coconut tree to fetch us a vine ripened, handpicked coconut. How does one refuse such an offer, based on intrigue alone? Of course I wanted to watch a man scale a 50 foot tree like a monkey and with no parachute to break his fall. In 3 minutes flat he was back, unharmed, with fresh coconut water for us. His hospitality was impecable... he provided us with a bench to sit on and even a straw. He’s probably the wealthiest man in the village due to tourists like us who are willing to pay him a dollar while he puts his life at risk! On the way back we found the most fabulous restaurant tucked in the fields. The owner grows all of her own food on her land, it's all organic and the place has views that go on for miles. She even makes her on kombucha – I can’t tell you how happy mommy was. It was the best she’s ever had! We asked her if she would allow us to host our wedding celebration dinner there and she said there’s nothing she’d rather do. I’m telling you, these people have the heart of gold. It probably helped that she was crazy about me. The moment we walked into the place, she immediately swooped me up and hauled me around to meet all of her family in the kitchen. Then she fed me one of the most delicious bananas and a fresh picked papaya too. I didn’t even have to place an order - she just immediately whipped it out for me like the VIP that I am. The craziest thing about the restaurant is that it’s a 15 minute walk off the main road, on a 10 inch wide path through the fields. Flash lights required when you’re going for dinner….and running shoes too - the dogs will get you if you’re not paying attention!

4 comments:

GP Marty said...

OH MY! What an adventure tou're having.
I can hardly wait for you to show me some of the places you've discovered and the people you have met.
Sounds like you're the center of attention for everyone in the area. Can hardly wait to meet your new friends and try some new foods.
See you in about a week.

Unknown said...

Hi Love Bug: Two more sleeps and I'm on my way. Tell Mommy I have a couple of cans of Burt's Bee's Bug Be Gone for her, and for Daddy, Salsa! And yes, I'll go to Target and get you a stash of diapers. I'm also going to get me some socks. I only have one pair, and from the looks of things, we're going to do a lot of hiking! Can't wait to give you a BIG FAT HUG! Meema

Anonymous said...

Hey, you three are having so much fun, how I wish I could join you, maybe next year. Love all the experiences, especially Jake crawling now, he's my main man. Now you really are in trouble, around the clock attention to his whereabouts! Loved the stories about the locals, the food and the details about the countryside and your house. Incredible since I haven't seen that part of the world. Keep the pic's coming and enjoy those spa treatments. The best news is the engagement and the wedding plans. So very happy SJ can join you, how amazing and how quickly our lives change. She will love the adventure and certainly deserves this trip. Its been too long for her to get so far away. Now don't relax on the blog, I'm loving every word. Love and hugs to Jake/daddy.gs

auntie ro said...

Oh how wonderful for you to be able to get fresh coconut water milk and to watch the gentle man climb the big tree to get it. I am in awe of these great sights. Mommy and daddy sound like they have found the perfect place to have their wedding dinner. Meema will be able to have a break to eat dinner because I am sure that the woman who owns the resturent will steal you away to the kitchen during dinner and feed you sweet tasting bananas and fresh veggies. I like the picture of you and mummy doing yoga together on the Le Nei. Tell her she will be proud of me I went and checked out a place near our apartment. I am going to start some beginning yoga. And how lucky to have both Meema and GP Marty there to show around. Don't knock all the rice fields the way it sounds we are going to have a rice shortage in the states. Enjoy all you can while you can. Waiting for todays blog. Oh make reservation for messages for Meema and Grandpa Marty for messages. Wish I could be with you all. Big hug and kiss to you Jake and of course kisses for your daddy and mummy.
Love,
Great Auntie Ro