Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Whoa whoa wee waaaaaaaaaa! There's nothing more tantilizing than sinking your choppers into a home grown melon picked to perfection. If you happen to know about the melon cultivation process, you'd know that picking one is practically a science. They make tools for determining whether or not the concentration of sugar is just right. Here at the Glick Garden, we do it the old fashion way by using our sniffer and feeling the juicy nature of it. On our first attempt last month, we totally blew it and picked one way too early which broke mommy's heart. Today on our second attempt we picked one of our prized french melons and yet again, we crapped out and had to chuck it in the green bin. After that, it was pure nirvana. Our cantalope was oozing with juiciness and bursting with flavor. I ate half of it right in the garden. It makes the waiting game of growing these suckers worth it. We have lots and lots of heirloom tomatoes undergoing the riping process now. There are some cherry tomatoes that mommy's been putting in her salad with lettuce from the garden. On one occassion we had green beens too. They were tasty goodness. And mommy has zucchini 2-3 times a week. She's in heaven!!!!!!!! We also planted our fuji apple tree this morning but we won't see any fruit for 2-3 years. Bummer cause I do fancy the apple. Our figs are on the verge of being ready to eat. That's if there are any left once the squirrels get to them. The pumpkins are flowering too so hopefully we'll have some to carve and make pie with come Halloween. I asked mommy for a tractor for my birthday so I can feel like a real farmer. She said I could have a cow instead.



No comments: