Saturday, October 19, 2013

Yesterday we adventured on an 8 hour bus ride from Delhi to rishikesh and i managed to get the ultimate india driving experience during that long and somewhat nerve wracking ride. It gave new meaning to the game chicken or brave. These drivers here....I can't begin to speak about them. You can only experience it for yourself. I will say though, it makes Xanah look like a world class amazing negotiator of the road! The night before our departure I only got 4 hours of sleep so for me, it was a painfully long trip and I was plagued with car sickness for most the journey. It took all my moral fortitude not to heave my brains out while in transit. Along the way we had the chance to experience lunch at a roadside restaurant....all 22 of us seated at one long table. It was here that I sucked down probably the best mango lassi that has ever crossed my lips.



One of the many beautiful flowing rivers. most are so polluted and overflowing with absurd amounts of trash.



Monkeys are a road side fixture once you make your way into the land of the Himalayas. They are everywhere! Last night I caught a glimpse of a man walking his monkey on a leash through the ashram. We have been forewarned not to make any sort of eye contact with them as they are nasty and aggressive little boogers. The leashed monkey hissed at us as we walked by.



This is my view of the Ganges river at sunset from my sparse and simple room. It is said to be the most healing, mystical and beautiful river in the world. There is definitely something powerful about it. you leave the comforts of anything remotely plush once you pass through the gates of an ashram. My mattress is a 2 inch piece of foam and I just so happened to be 2-3 inches too long for the bed. I have one incredibly thin bed sheet circa 1960 and a small pillow and quite honestly, last night I had the best slumber ever! There are buckets in the bathroom that you fill with cold water and that's essentially your shower. I was surprised to find that we actually have a toilet in our room. In India, toilet paper doesn't really exist except in very few places. You use your left hand to wipe with and always your right hand to eat with....for obvious reasons. There's a little sprayer next to the toilet that comes in handy when you 'drop a deuce.' I've been told it's a heavenly experience to use it but I have yet to partake. Instead, I'm that American who travels with a roll of toilet paper in my backpack.



This is the dining hall, Indian style in the real sense of the word. We're apparently staying in a 5 star ashram because i've been told most ones don't have little tables to eat on or for that matter, utensils to eat with. With little effort, anyone can make Dal taste edible but for some reason, last night the cook seemed to have left his effort elsewhere. My pile of white rice and lentils was quite possibly the worst I've ever tasted. This is certainly no Michelin rated restaurant. And in the end, that's the teaching....we're not here for the food. We have come seeking enlightenment. Any extended amount of time spent here would inevitably result in losing some serious weight.



This is the man we have all come here for. He is revered all over the land. He's the go to guy for all of the politicians in india. Before any big decisions are made in this country, this man is consulted and his opinion taken on the situation at hand. Last night we had a puja ceremony led by him with probably 500 other people who gathered for it on the banks of the Ganges. There is not an experience like it on earth. Afterwards we had a private sitting with him where we got to ask him philosophical questions. Most people never have such an opportunity - we were some of the lucky few. I had the good fortune of sitting right in front of him and was hoping that through osmosis, I would attain enlightenment. The jury's still out on that one.



I have a soft spot in my heart for these delightful boys. They live here at the ashram as they are being prepared for a spiritual life that awaits them. The mindfulness that exists within them is truly shocking. I don't yet know much about their daily living but from what I observed last night, they are unbelievably gifted.



This was part of the ceremony from last night and I'm still amazed that no ones hair caught fire.




Govinda Das and Sita, part of our group singing kirtan along the river. I was running on fumes because of our long day but the chanting miraculously energized me! The energetic prowess that comes off of the majestic Himalayas is earth shattering. It's a spectacle and quite an altering experience. It gives new meaning to altered states.







These precious cows roam the streets as if they were dogs. It takes some getting used to because they sneak up on you like cats and nuzzle into your leg looking for some love. Navigating the pavement in the early morning time is tricky because the piles of dung is overwhelming and one misstep can land you in a pile of poo.

No comments: