Daddy and Papa are apparently having the time of their lives in Costa Rica as would be evident from the email we received from daddy this morning documenting last night's adventure. It was so funny that I couldn't help but post it here for the world to read.
Here's a riddle. What does a bar that doesn't service alcohol, a blackout, and a restaurant that serves beer with ice in a coffee cup have in common? Well, glad you asked as it is apparently quite common in Montezuma during Easter weekend. We learned last night that this is Easter here. And when they celebrate a religious holiday they mean it! None of this chocolate bunny and jelly bean crap! The real deal with going to church, no alcohol sales, and good old fashioned ingenuity about how to get around the rules. Pops and I walked in to town for an early set of drinks and appetizers. We went to what looked like the happening bar in town. First we try to order drinks. Beer? Sorry all out. Long Island Ice Tea? Sorry regular bartender is at church. Gin straight over ice? Well, come closer to my ear and let me tell you the truth you relentless gringos who must not get the hint and who must not know our Lord and saviour died for you....we are not allowed to openly serve alcohol as this is one of our holiest times. But if you want to drink rum and coke out of a soda cup and disregard our cultural religious beliefs then say the word. In quick order we were enjoying our drinks.
About 30 minutes later, after our second round and about to order our 3rd round, the entire town has a blackout. Chance? I say not! Maybe he had a point and we should have heeded his warnings. And I did think about it but as soon as the lights were back on....another round my God fearing friend!
Then off to what we were told was the best Italian food in the world, even better than San Francisco. This was told to us by a woman who had lived in SF, made her money connecting dot coms to money people and was here finding her soul and learning to be a yoga instructor. I have decided not to take food advice anymore from skinny people. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite good, even excellent by Costa Rica standards but no where close to the best Italian I have ever had. Where does the coffee cup come in? Well this restaurant was getting around the religious laws and therefore pretending that everyone was drinking coffee. I don't think I have seen so many coffee cups anywhere, not even Starbucks. And a first ever....toasting over coffee. Religion, consider yourself fooled!
The end of the evening was helping Pops stumble home. He is a fun drunk.
1 comment:
LOL....really seriously; my brother corrupting his youngest...shame on him!!!
Post a Comment